7.04.2005

comfy new shoes

i've been in boston for almost three days now, and i pretty much love it here. tim and i and his wonderful friends have been having lots of fun and random adventures. we spent saturday on the freedom trail, including many diversions and a huge hike up bunker hill monument (a large phallic symbol in the center of boston), sunday was cambridge, where my "professional conversation" is and where i'm hoping to live if i move here and then out with some of tim's peops to a bar called "the republic" which was strangely decorated with chinese war memorabilia, including a huge boot that appeared to be made out of pie tins, and then today we're strolling newberry street, a shopping mecca. i just bought these shoes i've been wanted for many moons, and i was hoping to get them in boston so they'd be even cooler. they're black and white checkered vans. see: tim lives in one of my favorite areas of boston, beacon hill, and from his roof you can pretty much see the whole city. we're watching the fireworks from up there tonight.

besides all of this diary type reporting of what i've been doing, there is of course a whole tide of conflicting emotions that come when you're visiting an amazing city and thinking of moving here very soon. it's exciting, it's scary...my biggest fear is moving here and being alone. i know that won't happen, but i know it's going to be hard, atleast for awhile, and there's a part of me that wants to stay in my comfy, full of reliable friends place in oregon. yet i know i cant, i know i'm suffocating there. this is all just very surreal, how comfortable i feel here after just three days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

> bunker hill monument (a large phallic symbol in the center of boston)

Er, no, it's not near the center of Boston, it is near the center of Charlestown. And the Charlestown residents will let you know in the strongest possible means that they are not from Boston!

I love your chaulk art, really great. There is a link at http://waxy.org/links to your Flickr pics!

Anonymous said...

Oy!

Don't move to Boston! As some who grew up on the East Coast and spent a lot of time in Boston, it's a wonderful place, but my wife and I are so happy that we moved out West a couple of years ago (not too far south of you, in fact -- we're in Corvallis, OR).

It's just a heck of a lot prettier out here, the weather is about a million times better (visit Boston in January and our rainy winters will seem heavenly) and the people out here really and truly are much, much nicer.

What about moving to Portland or Eugene or, heck, even Corvallis? We actually have a good Indian restaurant down here, our yearly festival is called DaVinci Days and mullets are pretty rare. ;-) Or there's also SF, which I, personally, am not a big fan of, but plenty of others seem to love.

All that said, to each his or her own I suppose. While moving from there to here may have been the right path for me, the opposite may be the road to fulfillment for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for wherever it is you go! (<-- I think I read that in a fortune cookie ;-)

P.S. Your work is wonderful, it'll be sad to see such a talented artist leaving the region!

Anonymous said...

Liz,

I love Boston, myself - though right now I'm living on Maui. I think Boston's a nice blend of intellectual, liberal, historic elements, yet it isn't as uptight as New York... I plan to move back in a year or two.

I love the picture of you at Harvard Square station - I have a couple of Harvard pictures on my Flickr account too.

Good luck in your 'conversation' :)