3.11.2006

the fuel of love

it is a new month, and a new me. kidding. as i am discovering lately, i am still very much the old me, the making-mistakes me, the me that God only protects so much until he lets me make my own, wrong decisions. and then what happens? guilt. questions. more guilt. is guilt from God? i was talking with my friend john last night and he doesn't think it usually is. and i like that idea. his point was this: what motivates us more, God making us feel guilty or God loving us? for sure, at least for me, it's answer b. because i've been feeling guilty lately, and let me tell you, it is not very motivating. all it makes me want to do is give in to my rebellion, embrace my struggles and make more mistakes. guilt makes me feel hopeless. but God's love? his never-changing, unconditional, full of grace love? now that moves me. that makes me want to change. and best of all, it makes me feel like i can change. all hope is not lost. i guess the tricky part is letting yourself accept it, his love, i mean. because when i make i make a mistake, the last thing i want to let myself feel is his love. i don't deserve it. i deserve to be punished. and i guess that is how satan gets us. first he tempts us into sin, then he tells us after that we don't deserve to be with God, to have his love. it's quite clever, actually. satan doesn't want us to be with God. God would never be telling us to stay away until we're done feeling crappy about our sin. he wants to be with us, the real us, right now, whether we feel like we deserve it or not.

the laziest man will swim the English Channel for the woman he loves. the love of God is the only thing that can give us enough fuel to overcome sin. don miller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz,

Just spending time on the internet because at the moment it's my only link to home and I've been feeling bored and lonely today. So, I thought I'd just say hi and that I miss you and that I always enjoy reading your blogs. I love your blog site as well--I think my brother would approve of your asethetically pleasing site. :) It's funny how even though we're miles, countries and even continents away, I feel very similar to what you wrote under "the life of liz" (of course, I don't live in quite so diverse an area.) I hope you're doing well--call me or email me sometime. I'd love to hear from you! Miss you! --Denice