12.04.2006

the first snow

i've been a baaa-ahh-aad blogger. my apologies to all my faithful readers (kari). seriously, i've never not written for THIS long. i guess i will blame grad school. yes, indeed i will. you see, in grad school, there are no tests. which is a good thing, i suppose, except for the fact that i'm really good at tests. but there are lots of papers. that's okay, because i'm good at writing, too (i also have a huge head, but that's mainly because my hair is so thick). the point i'm trying to make is, i'm always writing papers. so the blog writing as suffered. in fact, i'm writing a paper right now. i'm just taking a break to write this.

i silmeltaneously (word i cant spell) love and hate writing papers. one of my favorite things i'm learning in grad school so far is the beauty of dichotomies. contrast. the fact that two seemingly opposite things (i love writing papers, i hate writing papers) can both be true at the same time. love is amazing. love is horrifying. you get the idea. i've always loved contrast, because one extreme makes the other extreme all the more potent and beautiful. so you can see why i love dichotomies.

yeah, grad school pretty much rules. i love learning. i know, i love a lot of things. i fall in love so easily, whether its with a person, a concept, or a freaking tv show (what is the appeal of deal or no deal? all i know is, on most fridays, i'd rather watch it and yell at the screen then go out). in grad school, they expose you to all kinds of amazing books and resources, then tell you to read more of them than is humanly possible. this is exhilirating and frustrating. in college, i was assigned a good chunk of reading, but most of it i didn't give a crap about, so who cared if i didn't have (okay, make) time to read it? but now, i want to read all of it! i want to soak it up, drink it in, devour every last syllable. 'cause it's so yummy! my favorite book i'm reading right now is a general theory of love. i picked it up in the school book store when i was only supposed to be buying my requried texts. but i couldn't resist! not only was it about love (so obviously my favorite subject) but it had an amazing cover design. two red wooden chairs, one leaning toward the other. i must have it! i said, and now i do, and it's the most freaking fascinating book i've read it awhile. the best part is, i can use it for one of my papers! aint love grand?

yeah, i'm obviously explosively babbling because i havent blogged in so long. it feels so good! but i should get back to that paper. today was (finally) the first snow. a full month and 4 days later than last year. it was more like slush, really, but who cares? the long cold winter is finally here, and i am strangely happy about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love ... taking time out from the things I'm supposed to be doing to read your blog.

Curious...does the Theory of Love make any testable predictions?

Emergingjourney said...

I just found out that I got into med school, I feel your pain, or perhaps not feeling it yet. But the Chalk art at Roth's really sucks now, my bean buying expereance is somewhat less exciting...

M@

Emergingjourney said...

Hey Liz! I just found out that I got into Med school, so sooner rather then later (may 07) I will feel your pain of school yet again. By the way, my bean buying expereance in Roth's is somewhat less exciting because the chalk art is well, sucky.