8.13.2005

mommy pants

tonight i am spending the night at my mom's new house in the o.c. (that's oregon city, for all you non-lame people out there). she's so cute, she set up the spare bedroom for me, complete with pictures of me and family on my bedside table. she also put a her "i'm having a baby" journal on the table for me to read. i've read it before, but it's always an intriguing read, especially now that i'm nearing the age where i'll probably pop one out myself. she had me when she was 24, but she told me not to go getting any ideas. the journal is a detailed account of her pregnancy with yours truly, and the subsequent birth, and my little bro even snagged a few pages for his entry into the big bad world. i don't know if these things are passed on, but my mom had really short labors and didn't puke very much when she was pregnant. this makes me hopeful. the times she did hurl were both from a chili dog overdose, a lesson that took her two times to fully learn. freaking nasty. i'll spare you the gross anatomical details, even though there are a few phrases i'm dying to mention. but i'm not going to, and i hope you remember this if you ever doubt my love for you.

lisa is just too busy to think about going potty. she is so smart and big for her age. she can be so funny and cute and then turn around and be such a brat.

that's my mom's description of me at two. ironically, i think most of it is still fairly accurate. i still find stopping activities to use the bathroom quite annoying, and i guess i'm still a cute, funny brat. the one thing that bothers me...big for her age? was my mom calling me fat? oh, my parents called me lisa beth for the first five or so years of my life. little known fact. then in first grade i declared i wanted to be called elizabeth (my real name) and then in sixth i told the teacher to call me liz, and so it has been ever since. fascinating, ay?

hands down my favorite part of the journal is my mom talking about maternity clothes, especially maternity pants, which she refers to as "mommy pants." i can just picture my mom and dad going into fred meyer in 1981 to pick out "mommy slacks" and "mommy jeans." what an adorable thought. tonight i have a feeling i am going to dream about the inside of fred meyer in 1981. i can't wait to see what it looked like.

some mistakes are too fun to only make once. random readerboard, and my new mantra

No comments: