3.03.2005

mr. medium

well, it’s happening. the phenomenon i never, ever thought would happen. atleast until i was forty. i’m starting to feel…just a hair…old. apparently 23 is the threshold of senior citizenhood. i think it’s mostly because a lot of the people i work with are younger than me. and as soon as i turned 23, my younger coworkers have started to call me…old! what the heck? my biological clock is tick-tock-ticking away and i’ve got half the people telling me to hurry it up and the other half reminding me how young i am. i’m doing my best to listen to the latter half, and with sex and the city in my corner, it’s actually not proving too difficult.

i have decided that i am the carrie bradshaw of mcminnville. perhaps that’s not saying much, after all, it is mcminnville, oregon. after watching countless episodes of sex and the city, and spending even more time pondering them (hey, i think all the time about a lot of stuff, so that’s not totally pathetic) i have decided that i am indeed the fairly diluted version of carrie bradshaw. she lives on the island of manhattan, i live on the island in between baker st. and adams st. she’s got a column, i’ve got a blog. she’s got a screwed up love life…well, we’ve all got a screwed up love life. also, i don’t mean to brag, but, for the average mcminnvillian (mcminnvillite? macperson?), i’ve got style. i occasionally walk down 3rd street wearing pink heels, even if they may have only cost a fraction of the price of manolo blahniks. and most of all, carrie won't settle for anything less than her mr. big. the other night i said to brian "i'm waiting for mr. big. or atleast mr. medium." i realize that might sound inappropriate, but, cross my heart, that's not how i meant it. i swear!

brian is in arizona on business (that corporate loser!) which is too bad, since he’s pretty much my stanford blatch. ha ha, that one’s for you, ogle. it is sad with him gone, but it turns out i might be able to function without him. this morning i made it to work at 5:55 am, sans wake up call! i had to put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, and i hate being that mean to myself, but it worked. and last sunday, when all hope was running out, i actually made some new friends at my new church. and they are coming over tonight to start a small group with me. i want to call the group "the awkward phase" because we are all unmarried college grads. it was such a God thing because i just felt compelled to sit near these two dudes and then we ended up talking forever and deciding to have a small group. as usual, God comes through again in the 11th hour. it was enough to make me completely forget i had been seriously thinking of moving just a few days before.

i was just reading through some of my old blogs and i noticed that i am constantly mentioning sex and the city. ok, maybe i am obsessed! fine, i admit it.

come on! let’s get the shit kicked out of us by love! love actually

No comments: